Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

What search term to target on a homepage?

beldin
Trust:

What search term to target on a homepage?

Hey Gang,

Question about the root (home) page of the website...

Okay... I think I'm getting confused on whether this page is an article page and optimized for it's keywords or if it is a basic page with just an introductory greeting and sales links. Something like an overview of the site perhaps.

If it is an overview page, then what do you use for your keywords in the html code? I've looked at a number of sites listed in the members forum and find that some people list a ton of keywords while others, including Marks, only have a few.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Marketing,
Stephen
Last edited by faradina on 29 Sep 09 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link to spam page

Stephen

wollowra
Trust:
Hi Stephen,
Welcome to Affilorama.
Everyone has a different way of doing things based on their own testing etc.
Mark targets one or 2 keywords on each of his pages from what I have seen.
Why? because it is relevant for the searcher and Google.
Sure you can have related words on the page and that's fine and it does help with relevancy but you should target the one keyword you have in the links on your navigation menu.
EG: Someone searches for blue socks on Google
They then land on your page with the page heading and nav link saying "Blue socks info"
Then on the page itself is some really useful info on you guessed it "Blue socks"

I know this is a simple explanation but hope that helps.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

beldin
Trust:
Thanks Troy,

I had forgotten to mention that I'm new to the forum, thanks for noticing! :)

Stephen
Last edited by faradina on 29 Sep 09 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling error

Stephen

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
The keywords meta tag is not always used as search engines pay little attention to it after it continually got abused by some webmasters - and listing your keywords in the meta tag lists them nicely for your competitors to 'borrow' them. But its no drama if you do use it.

You dont want to overdo it on the homepage - but targeting some long tail keywords can be helpful for ranking purposes, such as a product name.

Also use Google Webmaster Tools to find out how the search engine views your site and what words it determines your site is optimized for.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Sep 28, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.