Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

What is the difference between a blog and a forum??

rosedragontaiji
Trust:

What is the difference between a blog and a forum??

I am working through the tutorials on phpBB and I was reading the information on their website.

I notice that Affilorama has both a blog and a forum. It looks like only Mark L. posts to the blog, but in the 90-day you talk about seeding the blog with articles and replies.

So should we start with the blog and then add the forum later

Thanks for clarification

Mark W. (Rosedragontaiji)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
A blog and a forum look nothing like each other. A forum is what you see in affilorama... and it is what you posted your question on... there are categories and sections and posts....

A blog is simply a linear approach to an online journal... meant for recreation and / or marketing... comments can be made after each blog post if allowed. A blog is a handy way to update your site. A forum is great if you have a lot of traffic and want to build repeat visitors.
rosedragontaiji
Trust:
Thank you but that raises more questions. In the phpBB tutorial, in order to post on a forum, someone gives you access. So with affilorama, when we signed up, we were automatically given access to this forum.

For forums:
On your own site how do you handle toe process of people asking to sign up? I understand that once you have someone's name how the administrator puts it into the phpBB software, but how do you automate the procedure of the person making the request to join the forum, and the process of defining their usernames and passwords.

For blogs,
Do you need to go through the whole procedure of granting access or does anyone who accesses the blog have the ability to add posts?

Thanks again for your help

Mark W. (Rosedragontaiji)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
You should be able to set user registration on their own - so they choose their own names and passwords and you do nothing.... no on blogs you can choose if you want people to leave comments or not and they can if they so wish.