Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Products to Feature in an Article / Newsletter?

tanaili
Trust:

Products to Feature in an Article / Newsletter?

Hello Mark, Adrian and Greg

If the merchants that we affiliate with have many, many types of products, how do we approach marketing them in a newsletter/article?

If we mention too many products, then we could be dispersing attention to too many directions. If we just mention one or two, there'll be a need to produce more newsletters/articles which is too time consuming.

Is there a optimal number of products to mention, in order to attract the most clicks? What is the best way to approach this?

Looking forward to your advise.
Thanks so much!

Best regards
Ai Li
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking... that you want to promote as many products as possible in your newsletter? That line that says it will be too time consuming makes me wonder are you in it for the quick cash or a proper business? Writing a few extra articles won't hurt :D
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi Ai Li,

Do you need to mention all the products individually? When you send a visitor to a merchant's site through an affiliate link, you'll usually earn commissions for any product your visitor buys, regardless of whether it was the one you were actually promoting. So all you need to do is get visitors to the merchant site.

"Merchant X has a really good range of products to help you do this, this and this. Check out their website."

If you think one particular product would be of interest to your newsletter subscribers, then by all means talk about it. But you're right... if you promote a whole heap of products in an email, you're not just going to disperse their attention... you're going to make them unsubscribe. I would mention one product per email, and I wouldn't promote products in every single email.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

tanaili
Trust:
Hi Adrian

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry if my message wasn't clear enough. I do not mean just send 1 newsletter throughout the whole of my affiliate business. I intend to do it on a regular basis, and my question is: is there an optimal number of products/services to mention in a single newsletter, as a guideline?

I am definitely in it for a proper business.
Thanks for your kind reminder.

Have a great day!

Best regards
Ai Li
tanaili
Trust:
Hi Mark

Thank you for your clear reply. You always manage to cut through my fog of confusion, and leads me to better understanding.

Do you advise mentioning several merchants in a single newsletter, if they all provide complementary products and services?
Will this cause reader to become undecisive in their purchase later?
What is the maximum number that we can mention?

Appreciate your help in this.

Hope you have a great day too!

Best regards
Ai Li
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Ahhh I understand.... well you should mention just a couple products that the reader would be interested in and keep this to a minimum otherwise they will not open your email... you do not need to go into detail in the email... just give a brief summary of why they might like the product and then get them to click through to the merchant's page.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Do you advise mentioning several merchants in a single newsletter, if they all provide complementary products and services?
Will this cause reader to become undecisive in their purchase later?
What is the maximum number that we can mention?

Ai Li, this really depends on what the subject of the email is. If I were to send out an email talking about a generic topic like web hosting (for instance), I might have the bulk of the email discussing general aspects of web hosting, and then mention a couple of suitable companies at the end of the email. In this case, the email is not a sales pitch for any particular web host. It's a newsletter that gives the reader some USEFUL information, and as part of this useful information I give the reader some good companies, and it just happens that these companies have affiliate programs.

On the other hand, I might come across a really good product that could help my readers a lot. In this case I would talk about this product, and only this product. I wouldn't put links to alternative products in the same email.

You need to first establish what the purpose of your email is. What is your reader going to learn from it? I should seem pretty obvious if it would be worthwhile mentioning more than one product.

And always remember that you walk a very fine line with your subscriber list. Don't be too pushy in promoting products in emails. Don't load your emails with affiliate links. You will lose credibility and your readers will unsubscribe. They're not going to thank you for providing a whole bunch of affiliate links unless it REALLY helps them.

I can't give you hard and fast rules like "no more than 3 affiliate links per email!" because it really depends on the subject of your email. But I hope that clears things up for you.

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

tanaili
Trust:
I am really grateful for your spot-on advice, Mark!
It really gives me a direct insight, and clears things up to faciliate my start.
Thank you so much again!

Have a marvelous week!

Warmest regards
Ai Li