Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

What web hosting package do I need?

lisasolis21
Trust:

What web hosting package do I need?

I am new to all this so i have a few questions.I went to Bluehost and got the middle package which was 7.95 a month that has 10 websites,150gb webspace, unmetered bandwidth, standard performance, 1 domain, 20 parked, 50 sub domains, 150 emails with 500mb per email accts., $100.00 marketing offers, global CDN, and 1 spam expert and then some other thing offered was 1 yr of constant contact, domain privacy, site backup pro, search engine jumpstart, and site lock security all for around 230.00 before taxes. My question is Do I need all this? is there a cheaper route? Or do I need even more to buy?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm lost. Thank you for your advice
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
Yeah you really don't need all this, especially when you're just starting out.

I recommend you find some nice, cheap, shared hosting and see how you go with one website first. Eg, you could get the cheapest plan from Bluehost for $3.95/month (1 site). I have a couple of sites hosted with Namecheap's cheapest hosting plan, which is just under $40/year (and allows me up to three sites).

It's not TOO difficult to move hosts once you get up and running, so if you decide that you really do need that whole host of features later on... just move hosts. Your new host can probably even help you move.

You definitely don't need to spend $230/year. Holy smokes.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

endy daniyanto
Trust:
Hi Lisa, what Aletta says is correct.

I remember the first time I bought a domain from GoDaddy and they had all these extra offers that made me confused. I ended up buying some additions that weren't necessary at all.

What you need is a basic hosting package and nothing else from the hosting.

Constant Contact is an email marketing service that you can purchase separately later on once you want to start collecting email addresses from website visitors.

Domain privacy you may want to purchase because it helps to protect your private contact information from people who try to find it. But I usually buy this feature from the registrar, not hosting.

Site backup pro is a backup service. Backup services from hosting can be very expensive for some reason. You can backup your site manually for free using a Wordpress plugin.

Search engine jumpstart I'm a bit suspicious about this one because it probably only does something that you can figure out on your own and doesn't take long to do. Either way, you can optimize your site for search engines later on after you've added content.

Site lock security is a security feature to protect your site from hackers and malware. You can also do this with a free Wordpress plugin to get the basic security features.

That said, I use hosting that costs $0.75 per month and my site runs fine as fast as ones on hosting that costs $9.95 per month.

I hope that helps,
Songwriter. Affiliate marketer. Casual gamer.

lisasolis21
Trust:
Thanks to both of you. I would have ended up spending a fortune if it wasn't for you two.
lisasolis21
Trust:
Ok I went ahead and got ehost and then I downloaded WordPress and now I'm stuck, I don't know what to do or how to make my site pretty . I could only find 3 free themes and they are not want I need.There is no pretty pictures or anything. Is there anywhere I can get free themes and pics for WP.

Thanks
Site Admin
aletta
Trust:
In your wp-admin area go Appearance > Themes > Add new

You'll see the whole directory of free WordPress themes.

For free pics, if you search for "free stock images" or "royalty free stock photos" you'll find a bunch of sites with images you can use.

https://bootstrapbay.com/blog/free-stock-photos/ <== a big list of sites with free images.
Are your changes not showing up on your website? Try doing a hard refresh! http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

hcfgrizzly
Trust:
lisasolis21 wrote:Ok I went ahead and got ehost and then I downloaded WordPress and now I'm stuck, I don't know what to do or how to make my site pretty . I could only find 3 free themes and they are not want I need.There is no pretty pictures or anything. Is there anywhere I can get free themes and pics for WP.

Thanks

If you search on Google for "free WordPress themes" I`m sure you could find more than 3 templates.
Also, with the money you saved on the hosting plan you could buy a premium template and start from there.
What kind of website do you want to create?
Affiliate Manager to The HCF Affiliate Program (30-50% RevShare - Special Niche Market)
== > http://affiliates.hcfaminoscience.com/

manishraaval
Trust:
Hi Lisa,

If you are looking for good free themes you can definitely find good free themes online.

You can search google like suggested earlier.
trolisis
Trust:
Hi there,
about your post, I'm currently looking for cheaper options as I currently pay about 40-50 yr , you mention $0.90 which is peanuts. I am thinking of getting a landing page promoting a product and looking to host it, what is the name of your provider? thanks

endy daniyanto wrote:Hi Lisa, what Aletta says is correct.

I remember the first time I bought a domain from GoDaddy and they had all these extra offers that made me confused. I ended up buying some additions that weren't necessary at all.

What you need is a basic hosting package and nothing else from the hosting.

Constant Contact is an email marketing service that you can purchase separately later on once you want to start collecting email addresses from website visitors.

Domain privacy you may want to purchase because it helps to protect your private contact information from people who try to find it. But I usually buy this feature from the registrar, not hosting.

Site backup pro is a backup service. Backup services from hosting can be very expensive for some reason. You can backup your site manually for free using a Wordpress plugin.

Search engine jumpstart I'm a bit suspicious about this one because it probably only does something that you can figure out on your own and doesn't take long to do. Either way, you can optimize your site for search engines later on after you've added content.

Site lock security is a security feature to protect your site from hackers and malware. You can also do this with a free Wordpress plugin to get the basic security features.

That said, I use hosting that costs $0.75 per month and my site runs fine as fast as ones on hosting that costs $9.95 per month.

I hope that helps,

This topic was started on Feb 14, 2016 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.