Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Viewing sites in 1024x768 now

davmontrose
Trust:

Viewing sites in 1024x768 now

I guess I've been creating all my sites in 800x600 resolution. I had to changed resolutions for a program, and then previewed my site in my browser to find that it only filled about 75% of the screen. I guess I should always be sizing them for 1024x768 right?

Thanx Davin
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
I am sure someone will correct me if the facts are wrong,but I believe most of the world is on 800x600.Or a large enough proportion to use that as the bench mark.
davmontrose
Trust:
Well I hope so, would sure save me a lot of work resizing everything. Anybody else know for sure about this? Thanx Revimp

Davin
wendy
Trust:
Actually, these days, the majority of people are viewing the Web via 1024x768 resolution.

I didn't believe this at first, but I've been checking the stats of all my Web sites. With every, single site between 40-50% of people use 1024x768. Only 15-20% are using 800x600 and around 10% use 1280x800.

Personally, I'm still using 800x600.

If I remember correctly, there is some sort of code one can put in the <head> area of a Web page to instruct the page to fit in any resolution. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what it is.

Anyone know?
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
revimp wrote:I am sure someone will correct me if the facts are wrong,but I believe most of the world is on 800x600.Or a large enough proportion to use that as the bench mark.

You are wrong. It is now 1024 x 768.

Adrian
davmontrose
Trust:
Well , right on, thanx guys. At least I found out sooner than later. I'll have to go back and make some changes, but at least I found out before, I got way, way, to far to go back. Thanx Davin
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
i stand corrected.thanks
alvin
Trust:
Hi all,

Here's a report that hit the net a few months back about the growing popularity of 1024 sites.

http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox43-screen-resolutions.html

@
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
revimp wrote:i stand corrected.thanks

haha it's ok revimp! At least I am positive is 1024 x 768... most of the site visitors I get have that. What do you get?

Adrian,
PremiumMember
revimp
Trust:
on my cpanel stats I do not see any reference to the screen resolution,only the type of system.ie windows or mac or firefox.where do you find this info?
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
We design all our sites for 800x600. Admittedly you lose a little screen "real estate" but everyone viewing in a higher resolution is still going to be able to see everything, whereas if you're designing for 1024x768 your 800x600 viewers are going to miss out on the full picture.

You can design your sites with "fluid" layouts, with column widths specified as percentages rather than pixel values. This means that the content will always fill the screen, not matter what resolution your viewers are using.

The problem with this, from a readability perspective, is that really wide columns of text become difficult to read once the lines get too long. It can look awkward.

My two cents :)
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Ya what mark said is true.

Just do a simple design where your table is 85% of the screen width etc....

My site looks just fine on all resolutions.

Adrian,