Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Google SE - Linking Pages Query

icj1
Trust:

Google SE - Linking Pages Query

On my home (index.html) page I have links to each of the products for which I'm an affiliate.

I save these pages as .html. Is this correct, because, since Google has begun to index my site (based presumably on link exchanges, my blog and my Keywords), I find that when I type my site into the Google (SE) it doesn't necessarily go to my homepage, but other pages within my site too, or to a pre-updated page of my site.

Is this normal? - or how can I ensure that visitors get (only) to my homepage (home page is http://www.tradingonline4u.com) each time?. My KWs are "trading" & "online", the "4u" is obviously specific.

(I shall also watch Vid on Web Design Part 3a again)

Thanks for any advice.

icj
icj1
Trust:
I seem to be correct in saving as .html, so I guess the main query is, why do the SEs pick up on pages other than my "index.html" one?

icj
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Let me get this straight... you want the search engines to only show your homepage when you search for your site?
icj1
Trust:
Adrian,

yes....and then visitors can proceed to other pages on my site - from the home page. Seems to be the way it works with every site I visit...

Naturally, I've saved/loaded all the additional pages on my site using pagetitle.html as explained in Mark's video

(i.e. when I access affilorama.com, I only ever get the homepage...)

Hope this helps.

icj
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
If you want only your homepage to show up in the results of the search engines you are going to have to use the noindex tag.
icj1
Trust:
OK thanks, please can you expand as to exactly how and where. Thanks

icj
PremiumMember
eddie53
Trust:
The big disadvantage of setting your site up that only your homepage is indexed, is that your site won't be found for all the search that people make that is relevant to your other pages.

People find your site by google matching their searches to what it considers relevant content. The more content you have indexed, the better it is.

People sometimes find your site through search phrases that you didn't even know your content was optimized for.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Yea Eddie makes a nice point. Personally I could care less if people searched for the name of my site and found other pages... you want more pages ranked and indexed don't you?

Just set up the design on your homepage so they can't go anywhere else but to the merchant.. but certainly leave your pages indexed in Google.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yeh, you don't want to forget about your other pages. I get a fair chunk of traffic coming into my secondary pages, so you'll only be leaving money on the table by essentially removing the other pages.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

icj1
Trust:
Thanks all, advice appreciated, will leave indexing as it is.

icj