Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Should I Have a Subdomain for Each New Topic in Adwords?

clifftan
Trust:

Should I Have a Subdomain for Each New Topic in Adwords?

I've seen many sub-domain websites, each having a related but different topic. For example, hairstylesecrets.beautytips.com, makeupsecrets.beautytips.com, etc. I can see the advantage of using this strategy to save on registering a domain, besides if the project proves to be a loser after some adwords campaigns, I can simply delete the sub domain and set up a new one.

My questions are:
1. How will this reduce the effectiveness of the google adword campaign?
2. How will this affect the conversion rate and will it seem less professional to the visitors?
3. If registering a unique domain is important, is it still advisable to first register a sub-domain, put up the website, run the adwords campaign to see if it converts and then, if it does, register a new domain?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Regards,
Clifford
:D
Last edited by faradina on 13 Jul 09 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling, grammar, punctuation

PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
I was involved in a discussion about something similar a while ago. Someone was thinking of doing something like

(example)
website is pets.com
cats.pets.com
dogs.pets.com

But I think pets.com/cats/ and pets.com/dogs/ look better.

I'm not sure about the conversions. Maybe Mark or Greg could answer that.

Would be a nice little test to try

cats.pets.com
vs
pets.com/cats/

=)
Last edited by faradina on 13 Jul 09 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

clifftan
Trust:
Thanks Nick.

But I think pets.com/cats/ and pets.com/dogs/ look better.

I think Google ad listings will only shows one unique domain, depending who has the highest CTR. If we place 3 ads for 3 different topics using the same domain name,
pets.com/cats
pets.com/dogs
pets.com/rabbits
isn't google smart enough to weed out ads that use duplicate domain names?

On second thought, if we use it to test our niche market profitability before committing to an actual domain name, maybe it might be different I guess.

Regards,
Clifford
Last edited by michellerana on 18 Feb 10 1:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

PremiumMember
nick
Trust:
Ah - very good point =)
I forgot about them adwords!
Wonder if Mark has any comments
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
What I've found easier is to register a general domain name such as mycoolreviews.com] or something and then just create new pages on there.

ie mycoolreviews.com/brownsocks etc etc

I couldn't tell you for certain about conversions, but I know a lot of successful guys who only register the one domain and just add their pages in new folders.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
I've found that it is okay to do that for search engines. But for PPCs you get higher clickthroughs when you have a specific domain, e.g., HowToPlayPiano.com instead of mycoolreviews.com/howtoplaypiano. That's not to say they both won't work, it's just a slight percentage increase, but it all adds up:)
Last edited by faradina on 13 Jul 09 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive