Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Mass Keywords in Spreadsheet

PremiumMember
shalisha42
Trust:

Mass Keywords in Spreadsheet

Hi. I built a massive list of keywords from Google Keyword Tools. I thought when I downloaded it with th excel spread sheet it would include the search volume - however, it didn't. So now I have a keyword list with thousands of keywords and they are not categorized nor do they have search volumes so that I can choose the best keywords.

Do I now have to research each individual keyword and input the search volume? If not, how can I download the keywords from google that will already give me the search volume.

Also, how do I categorize the keywords so that it's just not ONE BIG MASS of keywords. I want to categorize them based on topics, ie, dog chewing, biting, etc. I'm going to post this in AB as well. Thanks!
Warm Regards,

Shalisha

bartko09
Trust:
I use the keyword tool in traffic travis so I don't know whether or not you can save both the keyword and search volume from googles tool.

Although, if you want to use TT, here's what I do. I save the keyword report in CVS format and open it in Excel. Each keyword line will look something like this:

example,1335

It symbolizes the keyword and the search volume. Now you can't sort on that alone, you'll need to separate the data into two seperate columns so that you can properly analyze the data.

So if "example,1335" is in column A than put the first formula (Below) in Column B and the second formula (Below) in column C.

=MID(A14;1;FIND(",";A14)-1)
=VALUE(MID(A44;FIND(",";A44)+1;999))

These will separate the data and allow you to sort on the traffic per keyword. Hope this helps.
PremiumMember
shalisha42
Trust:
Hi. Thanks so much for you input. I'm a little confused though when it comes to putting in formulas for excel. can you explain the proccess again? I don't use tt but am willing to try it. I tend to like google keywords better.
Warm Regards,

Shalisha

troskell
Trust:
Hi

I think if you cut and paste all your keywords back into the google keyword tool (one phrase on each line) and then go down to the filter options (just below) you can check the "Don't show ideas for new keywords. I only want to see data about the keywords I entered." box. Then enter the captcha and google will only show you the words you entered with their results - I hope this is what you meant.Not sure how you would categorise them though maybe you could do a find and replace (just use the find) and do a find all, for instance on the word chewing then colour each of these in excel red for instance - you would still have to manually cut and paste at the end though.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
shalisha42 wrote:Hi. I built a massive list of keywords from Google Keyword Tools. I thought when I downloaded it with th excel spread sheet it would include the search volume - however, it didn't. So now I have a keyword list with thousands of keywords and they are not categorized nor do they have search volumes so that I can choose the best keywords.

Do I now have to research each individual keyword and input the search volume? If not, how can I download the keywords from google that will already give me the search volume.

You could download the results by clicking the link ".csv (for excel)". Open the file and it will give you the list of your keywords and the data on advertiser competition, local search volume and global monthly search volume.

shalisha42 wrote:Also, how do I categorize the keywords so that it's just not ONE BIG MASS of keywords. I want to categorize them based on topics, ie, dog chewing, biting, etc.

In the Week 1 lessons on Affiloblueprint, Mark groups his keywords first before finding the search volumes using the Google Keyword Tool.

Once you have a list of sorted keywords, copy the keywords from one category and paste them into the Google Keyword Tool. Then choose the keyword with the highest search volume. Choose the best keyword in every category and use those to optimize the pages on your site.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
shalisha42
Trust:
Thanks. This is very helpful.
Warm Regards,

Shalisha

This topic was started on May 21, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.