Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

First Adword Campaign - Do these stats sound right to you?

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:

First Adword Campaign - Do these stats sound right to you?

I've been running my first Adword campaign this week; it's with Rocket French.

So far it's generated 153,374 impressions, 245 clicks but 0 sales. Impressions are mostly from Content.

I know I've got 60 days for the sales to come in, but do these figures sound right?

I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's experience with Adword campaigns, just to put my mind at ease.

Colin
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
For starters, I would recommend turning off content match or at least bid very little (like 5c) for a click. This traffic is not as targeted and wont convert very well.

You need to concentrate on keywords that will convert well. Im sure Mark goes through this in the adwords vids.

Can you give us some examples of the keywords youre bidding on?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Thanks sean06, I've turned the content ads off now.

[rocket french]
learn to speak french
"learn to speak french"
how to learn to speak french
french language lessons
"french language learning"

These are some of the keywords I'm bidding on, the rest are just variations on these.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Whoah dude....... turn OFF the content network! You are burning through your cash for no reason. Content network only works for a select few industries. Keep your adgroups focused, with the right keywords, and you will start to see improvements.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Yeah, thanks guys.

Content is off now. It took a few days before they started flying like that. I know content Ads aren't as targeted but I wasn't aware that it's practically useless bidding on them. I only blew a few ££££'s but I'm glad it's not going out that fast any more.

I guess I need to do a little more refining of my keywords now.

Thanks
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Let us know how it goes.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
You can probably afford to bid a bit higher on phrases with Rocket french in them, as people are probably already interested in the product. That being said, I dont know how many people are already advertising under those terms.

Like Adrian said, let us know how you go.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
I've upped my bid to £0.25p on [Rocket French] I may even go higher.

I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks again
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Are you direct linking, or do you have a review type page setup?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Direct linking.

I'm getting a slow but steady increase in impressions at around £0.10 - £0.15 bid, still only a few clicks. CTR's are between 0 and 13.3%

I'm up to £0.45 on the [Rocket French] keyword but no impressions yet. I'm upping every day by £0.05 until I do get some impressions.

Does all this seem right to you?

Colin
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Its hard to know without knowing where your ads are appearing. If they arent appearing on the first page, then you can up your bids until your QS improves. If your ads are on the first page, but there arent many impressions, it just means the terms arent being searched for very often.

I dont know for sure, but I imagine bidding £.45 will be putting you on the first page for rocket french, its just that not many people search for that exact term.

Check where your ads are appearing, that should give you some more info.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
direct linking is always going to be difficult because google will only display one ad per website. If other affiliates are advertising rocket french, then you'll be competing with them for clicks.

You may be getting poorer quality clicks. Others may be bidding on the countries that convert well, for instance. Have you selected appropriate countries, such as usa, france, uk, canada, australia, new zealand, etc? or are you bidding on all countries?

For all you know, all your traffic may be coming from people searching from low economic countries, like the phillipines or india.

I strongly recommend that you set up a landing website of at least 20 pages. If you need articles about learning french, perhaps you can find some on some free article sites, just to populate your site.

See my blog post here for reasons why you need a multiple page site for adwords:

https://www.affilorama.com/blog/30/googl ... bid-blues/

I hope this helps,

All the best,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Thanks Mark

I'll get to work with that; though it does sound like it could get quite expensive if I wanted to promote several different products using Adwords

Would you recommend buying a new domain name and hosting for the landing pages, or is it viable to put the landing pages inside a site not relevant to Rocket French that includes unobtrusive internal links back to it.

My budget would prefer option 2.

Colin