Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Avoiding Google Slap

volkan
Trust:

Avoiding Google Slap

Hi guys,

I have a quick question, let's assume that i want to build a review type website and promote it with PPC. (Adwords actually)
You know that Google doesn't like thin websites, and my quality scores would be 1/10, if i just make a one page review site.

But what if i put a lot of content taken from article directories in it and make a very good landing page (i will make the landing page dynamic, it's content will be different for each keyword or keyword group at least).

Do you think my quality score would be still poor because it is duplicate content? Has any of you tried doing something like that?

(Some of the CPA offers i promote have a very short lifespan, so i can't afford to outsource too many articles.)

Thanks in advance
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Article directory content is worthless for building your own sites with. besides duplicate content, you are building someone elses business and authority, not your own.

IF you are relying only on cpa offers with short life spans, perhaps your business model is the problem, not the methods we teach. CPA is ok, but you should 1 look for longer lifespan offfers, and 2, use it to suplement a site, not be the only target for it. Also, your article sites should not be targeted to a specific offer or product anyway. instead, it should focus on a problem that people need help fixing, and find an offer or product related to that problem. then, if the offer expires, you simply find a new one and replace that.

it takes more work initially, and if you are looking for a quick fix get rich quick solution, you are in the wrong place. but if you want a real business tht will be here in 6 months, 2 years, and even 10 years, then you need a long term plan. it will take longer for initial success, although with ppc I have seen people making a full time income in less than 3 months, but it will last longer than quick fix sites that require constant change. personally i would rather build up the site, focus on getting their email adress on a list, and then you can market different cpa offers over time.
Now, all this said , I have to say, I have not done any cpa marketing, although i have studied it some< but I do know several other people running successful cpa businesses doing the plan stated above.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

andyblack
Trust:
Interesting question volkan.

I haven't tried creating *many* pages that are highly similar.

I know that SpeedPPC sells a Wordpress plugin that can create many landing pages and targeted Ads, so I presume this works.

I've some websites with only a few pages and I get quality scores of 10 for most keywords.

I've even lifted the content from these websites and made pretty much identical websites and they run fine too.
Albeit, they are small business websites so I don't know if Google sees them differently.
For example, check out:
www.dublinwashingmachinerepairs.com
and
www.corkwashingmachinerepairs.com
and
www.irelandwashingmachinerepairs.com

Pretty similar, but I've not been slapped.

I'm not sure how the duplicate content holds, and I guess there are only so many ways I can say "we fix washing machines in [region]".

For my campaign sending traffic to these, I have 7000 keywords and over 6000 are QS=10.

I haven't much experience with SEO, and haven't attempted to get these sites ranked via SEO. I don't know whether the similar content will cause a problem or not.

Hope that helps.
volkan
Trust:
Thank you for your answers. I actually do have authority websites and i am promoting offers that are very unlikely to stop working in the near future. But sometimes i find some offers that can make some money for a couple of weeks then the profit slowly decreases. That's why i don't want to spend some much money and time on them.

@jmpruitt
You are right, maybe i can target a bit broad topic, i mean a website for iPhone 3G is a bit useless now since iPhone 4G is here. But if i make a website about cellphones i can promote any phone offer i like and the content will still be relevant.

@AndyBlack
Wow 6000 QS10 that's nice :) ... Actually i will have only 1 landing page not many, but it will change based on the keyword / Ad user clicked.
e.g: If the user searched for "Pay Per Click Guide" and clicked my ad, the title of my webpage will automatically change to "Best Pay Per Click Guide" so it will be relevant to the keyword, i hope that will help me increase my QS.
Yes SpeedPPC is very good, i may consider buying it when i start doing larger volumes.

I've even lifted the content from these websites and made pretty much identical websites and they run fine too.

How long have they been running? Because i had some websites with little content like : http://www.music-beat-maker.com i was promoting it with adwords my QS were between 7 and 10, it was doing good my ROI was over %250 but after a review all the QS dropped to 1. (Not a bot, but actually a human google staff reviewed the site...)
andyblack
Trust:
Hi volkan,

I think the 6000 QS = 10 doesn't mean much. Only a fraction of the keywords in the account get any impressions. I guess it shows that Google likes the account history though. I wrote my own program to auto generate lots of different keyword permutations and Ads... like SpeedPPC, but without the nice GUI front-end.

The duplicate websites have been up for well over 6 months. Like I said, they're genuine websites for washing machine repairs, so how can they be penalised if they have similar content? I figure that I'm creating more relevant websites for people searching for washing machine repairs in Cork or in Dublin. If I make my site more relevant and targeted for the users, then Google should love it.

Cheers, Andy
robinjackman
Trust:
If you don't want google slap than don't use black hat seo techniques.

This topic was started on Jul 26, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.