Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

114 clicks but only 1 order form impression. Is this normal?

kenc138
Trust:

114 clicks but only 1 order form impression. Is this normal?

I've got 114 Search Network clicks to my review page, 78 have clicked through to the Panic Away sales page (gravity 124) and 1 order form impression.

I'm sitting comfortably at positions 3-4, however these numbers concern me.

My keywords are the usual ones we choose for reviews, like "product name review" and "product creator review".

Any thoughts? I'm losing money pretty fast! ^_^
Last edited by michellerana on 10 May 10 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

edborva
Trust:
With 360 clicks had about 150 hops 16 order form impressions and two sales. During the week I had the campaign up I did a ton of change up. Changed the adds, keywords and landing page. I discovered about 50 clicks in that the main product I was promoting wasn't even viewable (they exceeded their bandwidth) That one cost me a couple of bucks. By the way that was building a chicken coop by Bill Keene. Can't even find it on click bank now. Be careful what you sign on to with click bank. I dumped the how to keywords fairly early in my first campaign. product name and author produced only one click in that week.I made my two sales using marks product comparison review type page(three deferent products with my favorite highly recommended). I have paused my campaign while I put together the adgroups and pages for a deferent product offering and new approach.

My thoughts - If your uncomfortable with the spend, Pause the campaign, re-evaluate, redo and get back to it when your ready
kenc138
Trust:
Ed,

Thanks for responding to this post. I'm glad to see someone else has had similar results.

At the moment, I'm just trying to determine what the cutoff point is for PPC and when you should stop putting money into a campaign that isn't delivering, and rely solely on SEO.

At the start of a campaign, I'd always expect to lose a few hundred while waiting on my CTR to improve, but currently I've lost almost $300 while targeting the obvious "product name review" and "urgent problem" keywords. To me this signifies a problem with the product.

For now I'm just going to use AMA to build backlinks and rely on SEO before putting anymore money into PPC. I'm losing my wallet with this campaign.

beldin
Trust:
Mark mentioned somewhere that, as a general rule, 10-20% of people that visit an affiliate site click through to the product site. Your showing almost 42% which is very good.

He also mentions that a good merchant site will convert 1 in 100 who click on the affiliate link. Your conversion rate is slightly better than this.

I think the numbers are related to visitors through SEO, and you may improve slightly with a more targeted PPC campaign, maybe not.

Your data sample is rather small though and you'd need to test more in order to determine if you campaign is effective. Mark suggests that if you are getting 700-1000 hops and no sales then it could very well be a problem with the product you are promoting.

I know how you feel. The tough part about PPC is that you are burning through cash while waiting for the sales and it is definitely not for the faint of heart or for those light on cash because you will lose money as you test.

I think you have a great strategy... focus on the SEO until you start seeing the sales... you can tweak your campaign this way but it will be slower.

Stephen
Stephen

kenc138
Trust:
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the insightful reply. Since this is technically my first campaign with Clickbank I was pretty confused about the metrics and markers we should be looking at with regard to numbers.

The first sale actually came in this morning, so now the focus is just going to be reducing bids to get to position 3-4 and hopefully reach a decent ROI. At least I'm partially making up for my costs with this sale.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
beldin
Trust:
No problem. Also remember that, 1/100 is an average... and you could go more without a sale and then get a few in a relatively short period of time. The key is to be patient and learn with each step you take.

Stephen
Stephen

pthomason53
Trust:
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping this forum might be able to offer me some help.

I have been running PPC campaign for a yeast infection site referral and just started a product to sell myself and they seem to be running OK. However I am still new and affiliate marketing appears to me to be a game that has lots of costly pitfalls for the uninitiated.

My questions is:-

If I run PPC with Google Adwords should I avoid the 'content' placements and just stick to 'search' placements for text ads. I am assuming search is more targeted and is more likely to deliver a better quality prospect than content.

Is this the correct thing to do?

I have experimented with both but can't quite figure out the metrics on these. I would appreciate it if someone here might have some insight or experience that might be able to help me.

Regards
kenc138
Trust:
Hi pthomasmason53,

Yes, search is highly targeted for a particular keyword and is usually more expensive because of this.

You should not avoid the Content network because there is money to be made there as well. However, you need to adjust your approach.

For the content network, make sure you run a SEPARATE campaign. For example: Yeast Infection_Search, and Yeast Infection_Content will be two separate campaigns. Only use the Content network for Yeast Infection_Content, and Search network for Yeast Infection_Search.

In a content campaign, Google shows your ads on sites running Adsense. With this in mind, you need to consider your targets. They will be reading the information on the site, and may not necessarily see your ad as clearly as with the Search network. So, you need to make your ad headline much more noticeable and attention-grabbing to invite clicks.

The content network is also less targeted than search, but you can remedy this by creating tightly "themed" ad groups of around 20 keywords each.

An example would be "stop yeast infections" and any other broad matched keyword variation. The goal is to provide enough theme-related keywords so Google has a good idea of where to place your ads.

I hope this helps.
robinjackman
Trust:
114 clicks and onyl 1 order that is too less so try to make website use friendly and optimize it.

This topic was started on May 08, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.