Looking for some creative inspiration for your promotions? Find and suggest ideas for marketing and building your affiliate campaigns.

Optimizing WordPress Blog

amroch
Trust:

Optimizing WordPress Blog

Hi everybody,

Can anyone guide me on how to optimize Wordpress Blog for search engines?

May be Mark can include this in his next update as well.

Thanks,

Amroch
PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
I have just spent 30 mins trying to work out where to paste the adsense code into my blog template - stuffed it up and decided to try again tomorrow when I have more than one brain cell firing - then I saw your entry. Thankyou.

Fellow incompetent, I salute you!

Mark - does two members constitute a groundswell?

If we could see an example of the basic Wordpress template with the code inserted, I'm sure we could work it out - can anyone help? :shock:
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Amroch wrote:Hi everybody,

Can anyone guide me on how to optimize Wordpress Blog for search engines?

May be Mark can include this in his next update as well.

Thanks,

Amroch

Hi Amoroch,

I just sent and email to a friend about this so I'll include it for you here:
    --Put your keyword in the title and description of your blog if you can make it appear natural.
    --Include a keyword in your post title and use it in the body of your post - 1.5 to 3% kw density works for me
    --Make your categories keywords and keyword phrases
    --In the comments section change the default text "post a comment" or "comment" to "post a comment about KEYWORD"
    --Include a link back to your main website

--create a technorati.com account and claim your blog
    --write and submit some articles to ezinearticles and goarticles.com that link back to your blog
    -use linkshare.com for some links (request onlu related links)
    --always use your blog url in forum signatures

There are hordes of plugins available to make your blog more visitor and seo friendly, check them out here and here

I hope that gets you started :)

PC
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Mimenta wrote:I have just spent 30 mins trying to work out where to paste the adsense code into my blog template - stuffed it up and decided to try again tomorrow when I have more than one brain cell firing - then I saw your entry. Thankyou.

Fellow incompetent, I salute you!

Mark - does two members constitute a groundswell?

If we could see an example of the basic Wordpress template with the code inserted, I'm sure we could work it out - can anyone help? :shock:

Hi Mimeta,

Are you trying to figure out where to put your Adsense code in your templates?

If so, you can copy and paste your sidebar and header code (that's where I usually put it) here and maybe we can help you figure out where to put it

You also have to make sure that you can actually make changes to your them by changing the CHMOD permissions.

Before you make any changes, always make a copy of your original file just in case you break your theme, then you can just go back to what worked last. :wink:

PC
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
When I need to put up another WP blog, I'm definitely having a chat with you PC :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

amroch
Trust:
Thanks Promocode. I have already done almost all of what you suggested here except submitting the articles to article directories. I was wondering if there any way to apply META tags. The Title here in WP actually shows up as your header on top of your Blog which is not the case in normal web pages.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Amroch
PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Thanks Promocode

Here's the header code - will send the sidebar code in a separate post.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<meta name="robots" content="follow, all" />
<meta name="language" content="en, sv" />
<title>
<?php bloginfo('name'); ?>
<?php wp_title(); ?>
</title>
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<meta name="robots" content="follow, all" />
<meta name="language" content="en, sv" />
<meta name="generator" content="WordPress <?php bloginfo('version'); ?>" />
<!-- leave this for stats please -->

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="alternate" type="text/xml" title="RSS .92" href="<?php bloginfo('rss_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom 0.3" href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />
<?php wp_get_archives('type=monthly&format=link'); ?>
<?php wp_head(); ?>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
<!-- @import url( <?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?> ); -->
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="name">
<div id="title"><h1><a href="<?php bloginfo('siteurl'); ?>"><?php bloginfo('name');?></a></h1>
</div>
<div id="topdec"><p><?php bloginfo('description'); ?></p></div>
<div id="pages"><ul><?php wp_list_pages('depth=1&title_li='); ?></ul></div>
<div id="logo"></div>

<div id="wrap">
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
sean06 wrote:When I need to put up another WP blog, I'm definitely having a chat with you PC :)

:lol: anytime Sean, I spent alot of time tearing apart themes and rebuilding them when I was using them to promote my old "black hat" sites.

I think that Myspace is the "new blog" for promotions though so you're waay ahead of me as I haven't spent much time at all with myspace - soon though, thanks for the vids :wink:

PC
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Amroch wrote:Thanks Promocode. I have already done almost all of what you suggested here except submitting the articles to article directories. I was wondering if there any way to apply META tags. The Title here in WP actually shows up as your header on top of your Blog which is not the case in normal web pages.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Amroch

You can add meta tags in manually, here's a tutorial, but I never have. I worked on a group project with a top IM blogger last year and while I setting up blogs for our group she gave me a list of the plugins and customizations to be made - adding meta tags was not one of them so I never gave it a second thought.

HTH,
PC
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:

Mimenta - If you add your code as I've noted above (look for the ***'s) you should see your adsense code under your header. Be sure to make a copy of the original file so you can go back to the original if you don't like the results of your changes.

Can you tell me the name of your theme (or PM me) so I can better visualize where the code should go?

You can also add your adsense in your posts with this plugin

PC
PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Thanks PC - you're a gem!

The theme name is fGala 1.0 by Fredrik Fahlstad, it's here at:

http://mimenta.com/mimentum/

Its a 2 tone grey background with a wave-like sandstone hill thingy in the header.
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Your very welcome Mimenta :)

A 728x90 leaderboard ad might do well under your header picture, at least that's what I would try first. I'd go with the darker grey background and border (#6B757E) and the lighter grey (#ced5dd ) for your text and link

just copy and paste your code in between the logo div and the wrap div in your header file:

... <div id="logo"></div>
<paste your adsense code here>

<div id="wrap">...

Try that out, after you get that all set, post your sidebar file and we'll figure out where to put your ads in there if you wish.

Promo
PremiumMember
mimenta
Trust:
Thanks PC
You're awsome!
I'm at work now and can't do it here. Won't be home till this weekend to insert it but will try it then.