Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Should I choose a broad or specific domain name for my site?

craigmattice
Trust:

Should I choose a broad or specific domain name for my site?

I'm learning and experiencing a great deal from applying the training of Affilorama. This positive experience is not at all what I expected out of ignorance and misperception.

I have selected a niche which includes two major subniches. I like this niche, it helps people and provides solutions, and I have been a long time student. My question, select a domain name which will represent the overall website goals, problem solving content, which include the subniches; or, select a domain specific to each subniche creating separate website projects? I really feel most excited about the overall domain name which allows me to expand with additional subniches in the future. Am I looking to broad?

I have identified over 20 longtail keywords/phrases. I determined these by using the Google Keyword Search Tool for search score, calculating hits per day, and Google Search and SEO evaluation for "allintitle" competing pages less than 30K.

I know this sounds very rudimentary to many of the members. This is a new experience, I'm following the instructions and doing the actions to learn and apply my new knowledge. Honestly? I'm not even concerned about screwing up because it's all good in the long run.

What is your experience so far? What insight are you willing to share? I'm open and willing.

Thank you for reading.

Craig
"Make it a great day to remember!"
Last edited by michellerana on 09 Mar 10 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

Craig
www.aboutcraigmattice.com

jonpastorizo
Trust:
Craig,

I understand how you feel on getting a domain that will give you the opportunity to expand. I have only been into affiliate marketing for about a year and based on this short experience I can tell you that going broad on building sites is not the way to go. When you build a site for a specific niche with sub niches you have to decide to choose a sub niche you can focus on. Start there and when you experience success you can build on that and then work on the other sub niche which of course is still related. When you get regular visitors then you can write articles or blog posts on your site and refer them to your new site on the other sub niche while you grow it. When you start experiencing success on your 1st site, all you will need to do on that particular site is maintenance work and you can focus 95% of your energy to build your new site and get it up to the point where you will experience the level of success that you've had on your 1st site.

I hope this helps.

Renato
superaff
Trust:
Since you are brand new to this, I'd go with this one "select a domain specific to each subniche creating separate website projects?"

But, I advise you to FOCUS on one project only, and follow the step by step lessons here.

Another thing, you have everything you need to succeed at affilorama, and make sure you do not scour the web (and end up losing a lot of your precious time) for what I call "Quick fix".

Affiliate marketing is a real business.

All the best,

Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

craigmattice
Trust:
Hi Franck and Renato!

Thank you for taking your time to respond. I've selected and registered two domain names, both two word .coms. My plan is to have an "umbrella" niche website with focus on two sub-niches, quality products, building one sub-niche at a time. I'm currently learning about Hostgator, features and benefits, and learning how to build a website. This is a completely new area for me on this journey.

Yes Franck, I'm learning very rapidly the core, quality information is right here on Affilorama and I'm supplementing with two other professional IM/AM forums. I heed the forewarnings of you and others about losing focus, scattering my resources, only to find exactly what I need here. I much rather learn from those currently successful in knowledge and practice than from those marketing how-to, get rich quick products to unsuspecting newbies.

I appreciate your time and sharing of insight.

Craig
www.aboutcraigmattice.com

jonpastorizo
Trust:
Craig,

If you're studying how to build websites, then maybe wordpress is the way to go. As mentioned here in Affilorama wordpress is free. I presonally use godaddy for buying domains. I used them to study their WYSIWYG website builder as well as learning how to set up wordpress with hosting in godaddy. I also use hostgator for hosting and I'm sure you can use them too to learn how to build websites.

Franck, thanks for reminding newbies about scouring the web and losing focus. I myself is guilty of this and have unsubscribe to several IM lists.

Goodluck guys!

Renato

This topic was started on Apr 15, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.