Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Working In Pages vs. Posts in Wordpress

billydsp
Trust:

Working In Pages vs. Posts in Wordpress

I am trying to work through the Affilo Blueprint program and it says that when using wordpress you should be using pages instead of posts.

I understand why this is important, but when I add a new page, put my content in and publish the page I can't see it on my website (as an ordinary visitor would view it).

My page I just published is no where to be found. All I can see is links to my 'Posts' and then when I try to delete my posts all I get is the static home page I've created.

Is it the theme I'm using? Something in the settings? I've tried playing around but can't figure it out.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
jacaranda
Trust:
hi billy,

by default, wordpress publishes or displays your post on the homepage.. if you dont have any post yet and you published a page, yep.. you may not see anything on your front page

you may want to change the default index or homepage.

from the wordpress dashboard, goto:
Settings -> Reading, then select "A Static Page"
you then choose the page that you want to be displayed on your homepage.

hope it helped
newbie-friendly Membership site for Niche Marketing:

-> http://www.nicheproftclassroom.com/

billydsp
Trust:
I set a static home page, and that displays just fine.

But I want to add multiple pages, and have links from my home page that people can click to and look at.

Right now, when I add a 2nd or 3rd page it seems to vanish into thin air and I can figure out how a visitor to my website will be able to see that 2nd or 3rd page
jacaranda
Trust:
Oh, i think i get it.. so you've created several pages and you want all 3 of those pages to display in you home page? hmm.. in wordpress, i dont think that's doable in pages..

If you want that, you have to do make use of Posts rather than Pages, and make the 'main content.post' sticky so it'll remain in the top of the page

Another way is to put some sort of a snippet of your other pages in your main page and put a link to the other pages from there.
newbie-friendly Membership site for Niche Marketing:

-> http://www.nicheproftclassroom.com/

billydsp
Trust:
I know you can do it, cause Mark did it in the Affilo Blueprint videos.

He has his home page, and then links to all this other pages on his home page (using wordpress)

But I can't figure out why it's not working for me.
essexboyracer
Trust:
Its quite easy, when editing the home page, highlight the text that you would to make a link for to one of the other pages, click on the Add Link icon on the Wordpress toolbar, then Link to existing content (you can search on the page name) and thats it. In the example below I have a Terms and Conditions page that I can link to

[Image no longer available]
billydsp
Trust:
Thanks but I still don't think that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to make a bit of text a link. Example if that was a link to another page in this text.

What I saw in the video was that it just looks like the titles of posts, but they are actually links to pages running down the side.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
I'm very sorry for the confusion, Hugh. Affiloblueprint was using an older version of Affilotheme (1.2).

If you are using AffiloTheme 3, it uses posts and not pages and your pages will not show up on the sidebar. You will be given an option to change existing pages to posts the first time you activate Affilotheme on a wordpress site. If you want to convert your pages to posts later on you will need to install a plugin called p2pConverter.

Affilotheme uses posts because putting up your articles as posts means that they can be included in the RSS feed from your site. So if you create a Squidoo lens, for instance, you can include an RSS module which will show the RSS feed from your site.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

ekjobonline
Trust:
Thank you so much ...
Ekaphan Sarawong

jcdean
Trust:
You can always put a pages widget in the sidebar.
Respect,
JC Dean

This topic was started on Feb 16, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.