Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Help choosing domain with search volume

nalius
Trust:

Help choosing domain with search volume

Hi everyone

I need help choosing a domain & would like to know what is your take on this..

I found a domain with the product name in it which i believe would be great for SEO as its a physical product (keyword)

Example:

I've found that "purchase123.com" - the keywords "purchase 123" shows up with some search volume :)

The main question is that i would like to add the words "now" or "today" on the end to make it seem more natural (e.g. purchase123now.com etc..) but once i add those words it doesn't have any search volume, does that affect the rankings? should I leave it as is?

Any help would be great! BTW the above domain is just an example.

Hope it makes sense :)

Cheers
Reggie
newstart
Trust:
If your chosen domain name includes the name of a copyrighted product it is best to stay away from the name. Copyrighted domain names can be claimed by the owners of the copyrighted product in a court of law. In a legal court it often does not matter who is right or wrong as much as it does who has the money to defend the action.

If your chosen domain name is of a generic product your domain name should be acceptable. You may want to acquire both domain names forwarding the more basic name to the name that makes greater sense. The SEO value either way is negligible.

Margene
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
I agree with Margene. The product owners could suspend your site or even worse they could legally force you to turn over the rights of the site to them.

Very few traffic comes from domains that have the keyword in them. In choosing domain names, you just need something that is easy to remember and related to your niche. Ideally, it should have a have a .com tld. If you have a plan to optimize the domain name just for the purpose of the visitor landing on your main website then you might as well just focus on optimizing your main website by building backlinks and promoting it on forums.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

nalius
Trust:
Thank you for your advice Michelle & Margene :) I really appreciate it.

Reggie
essexboyracer
Trust:
I have seen affiliates buying domain names that are part numbers of high value goods, for example www.kdl37w5810.org.uk which is a particular Sony TV model. Their sites don't stay highly ranked for long though, part numbers change in popularity as new models are released and reviewed.

This is a short term tactic and won't reap much in the way of rewards
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
you run into a lot of legal issues dealing with product specific names, and as said earlier, focussing on a product will mean you have to start all over again if the product goes away in the future (it happens all the time too...)

Instead find a keyword related to a specific problem within your niche, or create a brandable domain that you can use to build a name for yourself. If you think about it, Affilorama is not a highly optimized keyword domain, except that people now search for them because Mark and the staff here have built a brand around that name.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

jetpackbuilder
Trust:
You should always have a long-term strategy and what James suggests about building a brand accomplishes that. If you strive to become an authority in your niche you won't have to rely as heavily on keywords down the road.

Steve
Put your Jetpacks on steroids!

FREE Affilojetpack tips and tricks www.affilojetpackbuilder.com/affilojetpack-builder-tips/

Taking too much valuable time? Outsource it! www.AffiloJetpackBuilder.com

Jetpacks looking blah? Kick them up! www.AffiloJetpackBuilder.com/kick-up-my-jetpacks/

This topic was started on Oct 16, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.