Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Is The Secrets to Dog Training losing it's power?

saltaan
Trust:

Is The Secrets to Dog Training losing it's power?

Hey guys,

Haven't been here for a while and the reason is simple, I've been working on my site(s) and building links like crazy.
Started out about a year ago and everything is fine except the fact that I haven't managed to monetize my site properly. To be honest I'm getting a bit frustrated here, because the site is decent (about 80-90 articles), I have a mailing list (500 subscribers), several top 1 rankings, more than 50 top 10 rankings (those, that I'm aware of, but I'm sure, there's more) and I'm having about 200-250 uniques per day. So, everything is just great without considering the fact that I'm not able to generate more than 4-8 of sales every month...

That is just 100-200 bucks and there are months when I'm not selling any products. I know you are going to say that everything depends on what keywords my articles are optimized for and I should try crisis keywords but that is exactly what I'm doing. They just don't convert. 234 hops for secrets to dog training review, 200 hops for puppy biting related keywords,162 hops for dog biting related keywords, 150 for dog whining keywords, 140 for dog aggression keywords in last 30 days and guess what, no sales :) and what's even worse, when looking at my clickbank stats, there's a big, ugly zero sitting on the line of "order for impression count".

So, it seems like nobody's interested in buying this product. Ohhh...I forgot to mention that I have a dog training site and I'm promoting The Secrets to dog training. I even bought it and I know that it's a very good product, so what's the problem here. Their affiliate manager said that there are affiliates generating 10 or more sales in a week using crisis keywords. I don't really understand...what is wrong with my crisis keywords. Are they different? :) One more fact against crisis keywords: 99% of my sales are generated by product related keywords.

Okay, it is getting too lengthy, time to wrap things up. I'm not saying that what I've done is worthless or useless and I don't regret anything. I've learned (a year ago I didn't know anything about affiliate marketing,internet marketing or building websites) a lot and I'm not gonna give up but for me it seems (please do correct me if I'm wrong) that it's hard to earn money in dog training niche. One of the reasons is maybe the fact that search volumes are very low for many of the crisis keywords but maybe I just haven't found the right way to monetize my site. What do you suggest? Do I move on to some other niche or just keep working on my dog training site? It really seems like mission impossible to reach 1000 per month limit...

Your opinions are more than welcome.

Ulari
PremiumMember
cterao
Trust:
Ulari,

I don't really know much about the dog training market, but what I would do is test out different offers.

Maybe for one reason or another Secrets to Dog Training isn't converting, but some other product might be able to do the job better.

Test out different offers and then move onto building another site in a different niche while you're waiting for data to come in.

For whatever reason, maybe dog training just isn't a good niche for you to be in. I know that there are certain niches that I just can't seem to make work for me (even though everyone else seems to be doing okay in them).
Clayton
I did AffiloBlueprint for one year - http://www.journeyofmyown.com/welcome-affilorama-friends/

Make $100 commissions by being my affiliate - http://exsolutionprogram.com/affiliates/

cyuen025
Trust:
I was going to make a topic about this, but I did a search and saw this. I am also promoting Secrets To Dog Training on many of my pages, and I have found that the product converted so much better when they had a video on their landing page than what they have now -- I think they switched back to the old landing page with all the text and everything. During the time that they had the video on their page, I was getting a sale about every 3 weeks which I think was pretty decent because I had about 20-40 visitors a day back then. Now I have more traffic, at least 40-60 visitors per day and I haven't made a sale in almost 2 months! I recently visited their landing page to see what was up and saw that they didn't use the video anymore. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but has anyone else noticed that too? I am thinking of switching to another product.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
there are a lot of factors that could be at play here, there is really no big way to tell. the niche is really competetive though (everyone seems to be in the dog training niche).

There are a few things I would look at. for starters, look at the keywords, and the copy thhat you are targeting. is the landing page targeted to your specific keywords that you are sending people from? also, as mentioned, try different products. that one may not fit their needs.

Remember, your goal isn't to sell a specific product, it is to help people solve a problem. if the product isn't delivering that, either you need to do a better job at preselling the product, or the product doesnt fit the problem, one of the two. One thing that I have done that increased my conversions is not linking my articles to a product, but rather to the product reviews. this gives me a chance to presell the product and I started getting better conversions. it also comes with the added benefit of internal linking my pages on my site.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

lyndaj
Trust:
@ James. Linking to your product reviews sounds like a good idea, thanks.

@ cyuen025 If you've not had sales for a couple of months then it might not be because of changes to the landing page. I could be wrong, but I'm sure the old landing page hasn't been back that long! I was very pleased to find it back again.

I'm even more thrilled that I found this thread! Take note everyone!

Out of curiosity I clicked on an image in an article to see what the STDT landing page was like now for that particular problem. The link was broken! There could be no one on planet earth who checks their links more than I do, but obviously I slipped up on this one. This image is in third position in Image Search and the article has top position in Google. There is another link on the page, but....

I must have been tired or in a hurry. Instead of copying the link from the redirects page, which is what I usually do, Ive apparently just copied the code of the other link while working on the page in HTML. The link had " target="_blank" on the back of it.

No matter how sure you are that all your links are working, please check them again.
cyuen025
Trust:
Thanks for the tip about linking to a product review. I am actually planning to add some product reviews to my dog training site but I am in the middle of other projects right now so haven't had time to get to that. The only thing I am confused about is, don't you kind of have to use the product yourself to give an honest review? Since this is a dog training product, and I don't have a dog to train, doesn't it seem kind of dishonest to write a review about something that I haven't really used on what it was intended for? Or do you usually just get the product and look through it to see how good it is and then write a review based on that?

As for actually getting the product, do you guys actually spend money on it, or can you do something like contact the product owner and ask them for a copy just so you can promote it better?
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
well, generally, i don't get into niches i dont have personal experience In, but that is not to say I have to actually use every single product that I review.

For example, I am in the save your marriage niche even though I am divorced kinda failed there myself but I am passionate about helping others avoid the mistakes I made, and I have studdied and learned a lot about strong relationships that I am using as I move forward with my life.

I even say in my review of one of the popular save your marriage books "I wish I had found this book before my divorce"

I get 3-4 sales a week through that review.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started

stefanieuy
Trust:
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading this thread and I see that all of you have really been earning from your websites (despite some setbacks). Just wanted to know if you purchased AffiloBlueprint before? And is that the reason for your success now? :)
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hey Stefanieuy,

I started with Affiloblueprint almost 3 years ago, and it gave me the foundation to get where I am today. But, I don't strictly follow that system anymore either. I used it to learn the basics and get started, then reinvested into further training in how to build authority sites and expand on what AB taught me.

It is a good start and I know many people who have become successful following the training there.

stefanieuy
Trust:
hello jmpruitt,

thank you so much for your reply. :) how long did it take you to earn after you purchased AB? and how much really is the investment to it? And do you really receive passive income after you put some time and effort to a site? or do you have to continue putting work to it? :) Sorry for the hundred questions, im just really trying to decide if AB is right for me :)
affilojetpackpurchasedept
Trust:
As the financial crisis deepens worldwide I believe sales will go down in all niches that are not essential for survival of the person and dog training is not an essential for people whose pocket book has no money in it. This is my two cents and that is probably all it is worth.

Andrew
Private message me if you want to purchase AffiloJetPack through my affiliate link because if you do purchase it through my link I will show you how you can have your web site business owned by a protected company that you own and operate for a small price relatively, and you can have people, Google, and affiliate programs pay you in a strong currency like the Hong Kong dollar, Aussie Dollar, or the New Zealand Dollar and the money goes into a protected bank instead of into the currency or a bank in the crumbling economy of your debt ridden country wherever you may be. You do not have to be paid in a quickly depreciating currency anymore and you can worry less about your business being taken away from you if it is attacked for selling something GOOD that a police state agency does not like since they are protecting the big sellers who do not like to lose profits to little old you and your web site business.

cyuen025
Trust:
AffiloJetPackPurchaseDept wrote:As the financial crisis deepens worldwide I believe sales will go down in all niches that are not essential for survival of the person and dog training is not an essential for people whose pocket book has no money in it. This is my two cents and that is probably all it is worth.

Andrew

Good point. I haven't been able to make much money out of the dog training niche. I don't know about how other marketers are doing with it, but I expected a bit more from it, I guess.
johnterry807
Trust:
Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

This topic was started on May 17, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.