Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Changing meta tags description on blog

rhoda1990
Trust:

Changing meta tags description on blog

Hello. I changed my meta tag description on my www.hollywoodtopnews.com and it's has not changed on google yet. Why? it's say's now on the description part on google "Celebrity news and Hollywood style for fame lovers.The blog is a juicy source for daily hollywood gossip and fashion trends."

but i changed it to "HollywoodTopNews.com- The blog with the hottest, celebrity entertainment news, latest gossip and juicy celeb gossip." but changed it on the actuall pages description in my wordpress back office.

so should is it the tag line that needs help or something else i don't know about.

help please
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
How long has it been? Perhaps you need to wait longer? Maybe you're seeing a saved SERP page from your browser's cache and not the latest direct from Google - you could delete your browser cache.

Do you have an account with "Google Webmaster Tools"? Best to always setup up one of those right away whenever you create a new website or blog - and check it regularly for errors and other info. And you need to submit a "sitemap.xml" file to Google via GWT, unless you're using WordPress and have a WordPress plugin that submits sitemap.xml automatically whenever you create or modify a post or page.

Hope this helps....
_jim coe
rhoda1990
Trust:
jimcoe wrote:How long has it been? Perhaps you need to wait longer? Maybe you're seeing a saved SERP page from your browser's cache and not the latest direct from Google - you could delete your browser cache.

Do you have an account with "Google Webmaster Tools"? Best to always setup up one of those right away whenever you create a new website or blog - and check it regularly for errors and other info. And you need to submit a "sitemap.xml" file to Google via GWT, unless you're using WordPress and have a WordPress plugin that submits sitemap.xml automatically whenever you create or modify a post or page.

Hope this helps....
_jim coe

Thank you for the quick response! So what's SERP? i changed it about an hour ago. i'll see about google webmaster tools, but i dont know what it is either. so whats goole's sitemap.xml? please help again
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
If you do Google searches on such general unknown terms you'll save us both time and effort. :o)
It's a much faster way of learning than posting and then waiting for an answer (which could be incorrect).

Of course if your question is about something specific to Affilorama or Affiliate Marketing this is probably the best place to ask. I don't mean to discourage you from using this valuable forum - it's just that a certain amount of self-reliance is a good thing in this business - because there is so much to learn and so little time, what with all one has to do to succeed. And getting answers on forums can take a long time.

SERP = "Search Engine Results Page(s)"

A "sitemap.xml" file is a list of all your site's pages, in the .xml computer language format - which Google uses to make sure Googlebot (Google's web "crawler") doesn't miss scanning (known as "crawling" - since search engine software robots are called "spiders", since the technology overlaid on the world wide Internet is called "the web").

Google recommends that you add any new site to "Google Webmaster Tools" and upload a sitemap.xml file. Just do a Google search on "Google Webmaster Tools" and join up - it's free. Using GWT gives you a lot of valuable info on your site, finds and diagnoses errors, gets your site into Google's index faster, etc.

It's not the best site for marketing analytics - that would be "Google Analytics", which is another free Google service every online marketer should use. For WordPress, you need to combine Google Analytics with a free Google Analytics plugin, such as Joost's. Then there's Google's free "Google Website Optimizer" for doing your A/B split tests - to make sure your changes are changes for the better, not for the worse.

This is all standard stuff which all smart online marketers will use all the time.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
digiblue
Trust:
Rhoda, give Google time to update the search result listings.

If you want to know more about sitemaps then check out:

https://www.affilorama.com/site-building ... g-sitemaps

I hope that helps,

Alex

This topic was started on Jul 07, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.