Looking for a program to promote? Found a product but not sure if it is any good? Discuss anything on programs and affiliate networks here.

Flipping Websites - $4400.00 this week!

smuigal
Trust:

Flipping Websites - $4400.00 this week!

Hi Everyone, (sorry guys, this should be posted in Aff hangout)

This past week something really great happened. I sold two websites for a total of $4400.00. The first site I sold was for selling a very expensive Kangen water machine that I personally own. This site drove me nuts because people would call me and email me and hardly anyone would ever buy the machine so I decided to apply my SEO skills to it and drove three of the top keyword phrases to the number one spot. You can type in the keyword term, kangen water and the first site, aboutkangenwater.com is the site I just sold.

I had that site up for sale for about a year. It was hanging around the number 7 spot until I got serious and wrote a few articles, submitted them to AMA and added daily links in Linkjuice, plus did some SEnuke work on it. After a few months it went to number one and BAM! I was able to sell it for 3k.

Two days after I sold that site, I get this email from a lady wanting to buy my reverse mortgage site. This site I had also started to work on more seriously. It got up to number 4 for the term, reverse mortgage pros and cons. I was earning about $50.00 to $100.00 on a good month in Adsense. The lady offered me $300.00 and I said, "LOL".

So, she came back and offered $1400.00 and I said, Yipee!

I have wanted to actually post my reverse mortgage site on Flippa but never got around to it. I guess because I have never sold a site on a domain selling place before I have not been brave enough to try it.

But after selling these two sites I thought... wow, this is really a cool way to make money.

I was just wondering if anyone else has good experiences with selling sites. I'm thinking of selling off more of my domains that are not doing a lot in Adsense, but they are aged and I could boost their main keywords to number one to make them more valuable.

I'd like to open this thread up to talk about flipping sites and see if any of you would like to share some pointers. My experience is probably rare but I have to say VERY EXCITING!

:)
Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

PremiumMember
ampie g
Trust:
That's amazing Chrisi! I haven't really tried site flipping but this shows that you can use your SEO skills on things other than earning as an affiliate.
onsubie
Trust:
I have read a little about site flipping and, although lucrative, it is more of a "future income" opportunity idea for me.

You mentioned Flippa and said you hadn't used a domain selling place. How do you market and sell your domains? You said the first one had been for sale for a year. Where was it for sale if not a domain selling site?

Mahlon
smuigal
Trust:
Hi Mahlon,

My kangen water site had a page set up telling people the site was for sale. I had it up for sale for almost a year, had a few offers, but nothing panned out. Then I actually had two people interested in it at the same time and the person that had the money and added an extra $500.00 to the bid got the site.

My reverse mortgage site did not have a for sale page but it was/is ranking at number 4 for the keyword phrase reverse mortgage pros and cons, which is a very desirable phase. Someone just emailed me and asked if the price was right would I sell. I said, yep, "IF" the price was right. Their first offer was $300.00 which I laughed at, then they gave me the bid of $1400.00 which I thought was very generous. In fact, it's about 18 months of Adsense which makes me very happy.

I have two more sites that I am going to try and sell. The great thing is about my old sites is that they have aged so they have time on their side. I do see this as a long term plan. However, I am thinking that you can also do this in the short term.

I have a website that is now ranking at number 3 for a good keyword phrase. I have not worked the SEO on it very much at all. So, I'm thinking that if I put a little effort into it, get it ranking number one for a few good keywords, perhaps I can sell if for $200.00 or so. If I spend maybe $25.00 and sell if for a few hundred, that will tell me I'm on the right track to making money with flipping sites.

I'll try to post the results if I can follow through with this. But I have seen guides, and actually have one on domain flipping using flippa so I think that it's a good way to go if you can do good research, get the keyword phrase for the domain name, and do some SEO to get it to the top spot.

My experience is unusual of course since I didn't have to sell either of these domains from flippa.

Chrisi
Need help? Looking for answers? I've coached 70+ students to 5 and 6 figure success. Private message me on FB for details on a one on one session for help knowing where to start your success or end your failure. https://www.facebook.com/netwoozy.gal

bmusic
Trust:
Hi Chris,

congra on your flipping projects. Wonder what you´ll do with those 4 grands dude:-)
Like said above this a another great way of menetizing your (aged) websites and your IM skills. I´ll really look into it in terms of diversifying my income generating skills. Right now I´ve entered to learn and master the offline route. I now soley live from it and as a Jan 2010 newbie into the IM field I´m pretty satisfied although I´m not making 4 grands a month by now, but I´m sure will.
Anyhow, I have looked into flippa since I have websites from 2009 I began but never finished since then I didn´t new a thing about seo and IM.

Chris, good luck a tell us more.

Bill
smuigal
Trust:
Hi Bill,

I have two website that I'm beefing up this week. I just ordered some articles to beef up the rankings on some specific keywords. One of the sites is my pond website. It's ranking number 1 for pond ideas and 5 for small pond ideas. I'm going to work on a few different keywords and see if I can get the traffic up. I have sold just 2 pond ebooks this year - Oh... reminds me I should work on the name of those books. ;)

It earned $30.00 in Adsense last month and so far this month $24.00. That would make it worth about $300.00 for a year of income but I want MORE. $300.00 just seems like too little for this site. It has lots of pages and is pretty nicely set up. I would like to see if I can get $500.00 for it. I think by boosting the SEO for a few weeks I should get it earning more in Adsense and perhaps get the price I want.

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress of my SEO efforts and the final sale of this site. I need to find that guide I bought on domain flipping. ARG... burried somewhere on my pc.

The one thing I have read is on setting the price really low - scary. I think you can have a reserve on it. Too scary for me to just put it up for a buck and then have it not sell well. I'd rather keep it.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

Oh, to answer your question on what I did with the 4 k... I paid off three credit cards (very low credit debt), bought me some really nice hiking boots, a small BBQ, put $500.00 in my investment portfolio, added $500.00 to my outsourcing funds and um... put 1k in my savings for a rainy day.

Chrisi

wingman77
Trust:
Hi Chrissi,

I'm new so firstly hello to all.
This is my second post and I'm afraid my first was a big soundoff.
A real head of steam let go because of all the rubbish in this industry.
However like your post. Have been watching Flippa for a while. Absolutely fascinating. Close to reality when you see what people get in traffic and income. Wonder why they sell really? I guess its a time yield thing.
Anyways congrats for making some cash. Looking at flipping some of my old dead domains.
And congrats to Bill too. Got to income replacement at last. A goal for most of us.
Will continue to watch and learn.
Love the real stuff rather than the endless Hype.

Cheers
John
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Thanks for always sharing your experiences and strategies, Chrisi. You never fail to inspire us :)

All the best!
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

ismail
Trust:
Hi Chrisi,

I recently read the following guide at http://www.wowhaxor.com/2009/09/06/comp ... -flipping/
since I don't have a web site yet (apart from my blog http://www.watchmequitmydayjob.com) I won't be able to practice it but for those who have might be interested,have a look;

Complete Guide to Website Flipping

We all know that the real estate market is in very poor shape and real estate speculating/flipping is just about the last thing you want to be dependent on right now. What you may not know is that website speculating/flipping is simply booming these days and, following my personal approach, there is almost no way you can lose money by building/flipping/selling websites.

Let me just begin by outlining what you are about to read. This is the complete guide to selling or flipping a website, two different things but both covered, from start to finish. Basically, you can jump in after reading this report with no prior experience and start making money on your own with your very first transaction. I will cover every aspect from buying, selling, values, building new sites to sell and more. That being said let us move on to the good stuff and start earning you some cash.

Determining a Website’s Value

The most important thing, whether selling an existing site, buying a site or buying a site to flip, is understanding a website’s value. This may seem obvious but the majority of the time you are going to be up against other website speculators as opposed to an end user who wants to keep this website so these people are going to be looking to get the best deal possible for themselves – as should you. That being said the information that follows is a general baseline, this will vary based on the following factors that may come up during a sale:

1.The buyer is not a speculator/flipper and actually wants to keep this site. You will be able to demand a far higher rate because this guy is not looking to simply buy and grow the earnings/traffic a little bit only to resell it a couple of months later for a profit.

2.What is the site? These base rules apply to standard sites selling affiliate products or with AdSense earnings. If a site includes its very own product for sale or other extras such as an army of affiliates promoting it or expensive custom scripts/licenses then expect to pay extra for those features.

When appraising the value of a website the main factors will be revenue and traffic. We will now go into a bit more detail on each of these factors.

Revenue

Revenue is probably the number one factor when determining how much you should pay/sell a website for. The general rule of thumb is to try to sell it for around 10 months income and, when buying to flip, to try to buy for around 5-8 months income. That being said the general rule of thumb is seriously flawed and anyone who tries to negotiate looking at stiff terms like this will be in for a loss sooner or later.

When I am looking at buying a website I look deeper into the revenue statistics. I want as much data as possible, at least a year back if on an older site and from the start if on a newer site. You are going to want to check things out and try to get the bigger picture of how this website is performing. Ideally you will want to purchase a website where the revenue has been steadily rising month after month – at the very least remaining fairly constant for a period of months. A website that is declining in earnings or was once on the rise for a period of time but now somewhat flat is something to either steer clear of or negotiate a bargain price on in hopes of selling to a silly speculator that will offer you a price based on the flat X months income formula.

Generally speaking websites that have been shrinking in earnings are all dried up and the seller probably knows this which is why he (or she) listed it in the first place – to try to get one last squeeze of cash before it becomes a complete has been. You will want to steer clear of these websites at all costs because, in order to flip for a profit, you will need to hold a site and increase its traffic and revenue for a few months. This could be difficult if not impossible and is usually not worth the potential risk.

Website’s that were steadily rising in income for months but have now leveled off are also something to be wary of. Often times this indicated that the website is also dying and perhaps the owner has been pumping in more and more effort/marketing dollars to keep the revenue from declining until he can sell it. This is not always the case though, often time it means that the webmaster has simply become lazy with this site, which can easily be seen after examining the site itself as well as traffic stats, and that means that you can swipe it at a bargain and pump a little bit of time into to it to get the site’s earnings to grow once again.

The ideal buy comes when a website already has a growing revenue but the seller does not understand the value in that and instead is looking for a solid 10x monthly income based on an average income for the last X months. This provides you with the opportunity to purchase a website that you can simply allow to sit for 5-6 months, while collecting back more than half of what you paid – sometimes much more – because the revenue is increasing, and then selling for a substantially higher amount than what you originally paid. The key here is to examine revenue proofs and traffic proofs (ideally the top referrer is Google) and then speak to the guy and see if it will be possible for you to work this out. Surprisingly enough many people will close the auction right there if you offer them 9-10x monthly income even though you know you just made a purchase that can easily more than double your money with zero work; this is, once again, thanks to the misconception that 10x monthly income should be the basis for the price and that is it!

A final thing to look at and note is any huge surges in revenue. Ask the site owner about it and also do a little research. As an example, a newly released expansion pack for a video game which a site is around may have been recently released which shot up the revenue for the last two months like crazy. You can expect this to dwindle in coming months so don’t take it into account. Most likely there will be some fool out there that wont think of this and will pay more so count this site as something you will not be buying. Other possible revenue increases to steer clear of are new news/trend topics which may have greatly increased last month’s revenue – which is probably why this site is being sold now – but which will dry up very soon. There are, of course, some legitimate reasons for huge surges in revenue such as better ad placement/new site layout or simply good SEO work that will bring in long term organic traffic, which will lead us to the traffic side of appraising a site’s value.

Traffic

Traffic is, of course, just as important as revenue; for both buying and selling. This is because traffic sources indicate the amount of work and or funds being used to gain the revenue for a site. If you plan on reselling this site it is certainly something that any buyer, speculator or long term holder, will be looking at. It is also important because being able to increase the revenue of a site so you can flip it for a higher price is your real goal here – if the traffic is a pain to get then this may not be possible and your only revenue from this sale will be the 2-3 months revenue you earn while holding the site before flipping it.

You will want traffic referrer logs for as far back as possible, just as with revenue proofs. Website’s that have even a small amount of traffic from PPC are something to be very wary about. Even if it is only 2-3% of the overall traffic it just may be the only converting traffic and the rest is junk – this means that you would have to setup a successful PPC campaign and spend cash, not to mention the time tweaking your campaign, just to keep the current revenue stable. So, when checking logs look for referrers coming from any major PPC network and take into account what you have just read. These networks will includes:

MSN/AdCenter

Google AdWords

BidVertiser

AdBrite

Overture

Yahoo! Search Marketing

They will not be exact matches but are usually pretty easy to spot, as an example AdWords traffic will appear from a domain such as ‘pagead2.googlesyndication.com’.

Using the same logic you want to see that traffic is coming primarily from Google itself in referrer logs, and has been for a substantial amount of time. This would indicate that the SEO work is probably done and the website is just getting natural organic search traffic which means you will not have to work on it. This is great for being able to increase the revenue with a little work and is also great because the right buyer, when you go to resell, will see this as a big boost in overall value of the site. An ideal percentage is 90%+ coming from search traffic, but really anything substantial is a good thing.

Middle of the road sites such as StumbleUpon and Digg being large referrers will most likely mean that you will have to spend a few minutes daily on promotion to social bookmarking sites. This is not a huge deal but it will lower the value during resale so take that into account when making an offer on the website.

In an ideal buying experience you will have determined that the traffic comes mostly from a search engine. At this point you will want to inquire with the owner what search terms the site is pulling traffic from/ranking well in and do your own research on them.

Check the monthly searches for the term (AdWords keyword tool is great for this if on Google) and also be sure to examine the competition to give yourself an idea of whether or not there is regular/ongoing backlink building and on site SEO that is allowing this site to rank for the keyphrase. If it looks like traffic is high on a term but competition is also fierce then please also take this into account; just because the traffic is natural does not necessarily mean that promotion will be passive – if competition looks rough then make sure you are willing to invest the time into SEO. This will not be a huge point when looking to flip this site as I very, very, rarely encounter any buyers who check this deep into referrer data – it will more be for you personally and what you are willing to do in order to increase revenue for the website. You should adjust the price you are willing to pay based on this factor as well.

In addition if the owner is unable to provide you with the search terms or your research has indicated that there is barely any traffic in said search terms this is usually a strong indicator that the referrer data has been faked – remember there are scammers out there in every avenue of online business. If you are good at reading people you may wish to ask some questions and get a better feel for whether the referrer logs are faked or the webmaster is simply incompetent and doesn’t know what he is ranking for. My personal advice though is to just drop the sale right here, there are always more websites to look at and taking risks is the best way to lose money in an almost surefire business plan such as website speculating.

Also please remember that the entire appraising process is a negotiation, there is no impartial third party. That means that whenever you are presented with a negative result – either on traffic or income – be sure to tell the other party exactly what is wrong and how it is going to affect the final sale price. Remember, there is no set price – it is just like buying a car only you are about to have the background experience to out negotiate the other party instead of getting suckered by some sleazy car salesman.

Buying/Selling

Now that we have covered determining a value of a website it is time to move on to the buying and selling process as a whole. Of course the approach will be somewhat different if you are buying or if you are selling so I will run this as two sub-chapters to be sure to cover everything and make it all as clear as possible.

Buying

Buying a website is very basic once you understand how to determine the value of the site. Beyond this the key points that you need to know are how to go about getting a hold of the site itself and how to properly negotiate to pay the least amount possible. Things like increasing the income/traffic and getting a good price for your site will fall under the buying category.

The very first thing to do, obviously, when looking to buy a website as an investment is to hit up the marketplaces and shop around a bit. The top marketplaces for buying/selling websites are:

Flippa.com: Formerly SitePoint and the biggest one around

BuySellWebsite.com: These guys are very professional, listing fees cost some $$ so sellers are serious and the auction platform is pretty nice

Forums.DigitalPoint.com: Just hit up the website for sale section, in the BST, I actually sold two sites here in July (my first time selling sites here) and it was a good experience with lots of bids. A nice thing about being a buyer here is that there are so many sites and many of the sellers are first time sellers which can mean a steal for you

GeekVillage.com Forums: Another good source. They charge a small fee and sellers can’t be brand new to the forums so as a buyer you are pretty safe here

SiteIndeed.com: Good middle of the road source. These guys do listings for free if they are short then charge for longer sales which means you will get a good smathering of cheap and expensive sites to sift through for deals

Those would be my definite top 5 in terms of both buying and selling. I usually spend a solid 2-3 hours browsing all of these marketplaces before deciding on a site, or a couple, that seem like a real solid investment – based on asking price and revenue/traffic as well as the nature of the revenue/type of website; all of which we just covered.

The most promising websites get a follow up where I begin dialogue with the owner of the site. This is usually just private message or e-mail exchange; since it takes time to close a sale and investigate traffic and revenue details contact via instant messenger really doesn’t provide much of an advantage.

In the final steps of buying a website I will bring forth all of the negative factors that I have identified from the sale, just as with a car I would say that it needs new tires so I need to pay that much less etc., and then I will make my offer. My initial offer will generally be about 25% less than what I am willing to pay and I will usually get counter offered. Sometimes you get lucky and buy it for less than what you were willing to pay – which was already less than the asking price – and sometimes you get talked up to your asking price. Just be firm here, remember this is an investment and there are plenty of other websites out there if this guy wants too much. Sometimes walking away can even get you a lower offer a couple of days later when other buyers fall through.

As you can see the entire buying process is very simple/self explanatory once you have a solid understanding of how to determine the value of a given site. From here you need to cover some basics like:

Content – This is the most important aspect to cover. You want to know where all of the content for this site comes from and have access to it. Without updating this site as it is currently being done both your traffic and revenue will drop making this site worthless!

Hosting – Included or do I need to buy/have my own?

Domains – If not included you are going to need to get the domain transferred to your host. Be aware that some domain registrars such as 1and1 will require a waiting of 5 days before transferring the domain which the seller will not be able to bypass.

Files – Hopefully they can setup an FTP account on their current host/server, if transferring you files, in order to more quickly get you everything you need to throw up on your host. If you are trying to transfer a WordPress blog, as an example, you will need all of the FTP files as well as a backup of the MySQL database. This is probably the most tricky transfer but you can read up on it at: http://www.jealousbrother.com/blog/tran ... erverhost/

Payment – This is the big one. Usually you will need to pay at close, or within a given time frame, before you receive anything. For purchases under $1,000 PayPal is pretty normal and really is fine. I would simply recommend that you deposit the money into your bank account and use your bank’s debit card to make the payment. This is because PayPal does not cover the non-receipt of digital goods but your bank can do a chargeback for you if you never get the site and PayPal will not fight them on it. For larger transactions I recommend using third party escrow; these are companies that basically do a little swap for you. They get the money and access to the files and then toss them off to the other party insuring nobody is left empty handed during the exchange. Dealing with established members can negate any fears/risks as these guys make a living out of site flipping, much as you hope to do, and a ding on their reputation can mean big trouble.

That is it for buying a website. Shortly we will cover how to maximize this investment by increasing traffic and revenue in order to get a higher price when flipping the site. Unlike real estate investments when investing in websites you are able to easily increase the value all on your own without having to worry about the market as a whole.

Selling

Selling a website is pretty much the same kind of stuff we just covered only you are on the opposite end of things. You want to have strong revenue and traffic stats and you will want to be able to talk up the high points in your sales post while leaving out some of the low points.

Dialogue on the majority of website marketplaces takes place individually and in private between you and potential buyers. This allows you to leave out any negatives about your website and when experienced buyers happen to stumble on them or ask about them you will simply be able to hold out for someone who is a bit less experienced and willing to pay a bit more.

Another note here is that you should understand what the majority of the buyers want to see and cater to that. You should always wait until your website has a revenue that has been on the increase for at least a couple of months before you sell. This will greatly increase the price that you get for it and, because the site is yours now, you will get to take the monthly earnings and keep those as well. I will be covering how to increase your revenue shortly so you will want to be sure to run with that for a couple of months before flipping your newly purchased website. Established sites also fetch a higher price than newer sites so really the longer you can hold a site before flipping it the more money you will make.

If your referrer data is good then hype that in your listing. Let people know that the majority of your traffic is natural and coming from Google, include links to download your referrer logs right there in the post to show it off. If it is not great then don’t worry, there are still tons of people out there that think the formula to buying a website is as simple as 10x monthly income – target these people with your listing. For traffic stats instead include your unique visitors total numbers, rather than referrer data, for the last few months. You should have had an increase before flipping this so that in itself will show people that your site is growing and has some serious potential.

As for initial pricing I list all of my sites at 10x monthly income and let the offers come in. Since you should have paid less than this you can settle for a little but less but most of the time you will be able to actually work the price up a bit from here as bids start to pour in. This is especially true if you end up with multiple people that want this site for their own rather than flipping it, here the true value of your site is not based on revenue or traffic but whatever value the buyer sees this site providing him in the long term (4-5 years of income plus have the income gradually scaled up, perhaps the ability to market a product of his in the same niche to existing traffic, the killing of a website which is his competition; there are many variables here that will yield you a much higher price if you meet up with the right buyer).

The biggest tip I can give is that a quick sale will screw yourself. If you are willing to wait a few weeks to close chances are you will get multiple offers and this is, hands down, the easiest way to persuade someone to pay more. Simply let them know that you already had an offer for more, give them the real offer amount, and you cannot let them have it unless they are willing to pay more. Eventually one party will walk away but whoever remains will have probably been talked up 2-3 times in price and will be very close to the maximum that they are willing to pay.

After you have established the price and buyer then it is time to close the deal. Same story as when buying a website here. You want to be sure that you get it stipulated where you transfer the domain and do not have the site hosted otherwise you are going to end up paying monthly/annual fees. Again PayPal is pretty standard here for the purchase but you may want to consider the following tricks:

1.Have the buyer send the payment as a gift. They will not always do this because it eliminates their buyer protection but what it does for you is it eliminates most of the fees, which can get really high if you are closing an expensive sale.

2.Simply send an invoice to the buyer. The fees are greater than a gift but much lower than if paid normally. It also helps to protect you from an unauthorized claim as you have evidence that the owner of the e-mail linked to the PayPal account initiated the transaction.

That is about all that I can say about selling a website. Mostly it comes with experience and your success will be directly related to your ability to haggle and negotiate. There is never a fixed price and unless you get a buyer in a hurry that is willing to overpay expect to be offered and respond with counter offers numerous times over the course of days or even a week.

Increasing a Purchased Site’s Value Before Flipping

Obviously the key points here are going to be revenue and traffic. Usually websites for sale have gone somewhat neglected and no matter what the scenario is there is always some opportunity to increase both the traffic and revenue of a website that you recently purchased.

Holding a website for a minimum of 2-3 months is very important if you want to realize a maximum return on your investment. This gives you time to increase both revenue and traffic and also to make it appear as if the site is on an upward path and a buyer is getting something that is going to perform even better in coming months, allowing you to fetch an even higher price. In addition you most likely purchased this website for less than 8 months of income. If you are keeping it for 2-3 months and you are increasing the income beyond levels that your buying price was based on this 2-3 months of holding it will provide you with earnings that will cover around 50% of the total of what you paid. This allows you to make a far greater return because you have already offset quite a bit of your initial investment before ever taking your new website to the marketplace.

Increasing Revenue

Obviously the most important thing to increase is revenue. The first place I start is with the site’s and ad’s layouts. Many times something as simple as spending five minutes to change the colors or positions of a couple of AdSense units can increase your CTR, or click through ratio, by as much as 5% – which can be substantial on established money making sites. The general rule is that while people read from left to right they tend to view websites from top left to bottom right in a diagonal, then scroll down and repeat the process. Try to capture this line of sight with your ad units – a left sidebar ad or an ad in the middle of the text about midway down the screen are great places to gain attention and capture clicks. The color scheme you choose for your ad units should be an exact match to that of the website itself, spend a couple minutes on this because more people are going to click an ad if they do not realize that it is an ad. In addition, if using AdSense, the highest paying ads will be displayed first so try to limit the total number of ad units you display in order to focus clicks on higher paying ads.

Again the site’s layout as a whole can have a large affect on the revenue. Too many flashy graphics and outbound links are bound to draw attention away from ad units, and thus potential revenue. Try to keep it so that people have few choices but to click your ads in order to leave your website. Try to eliminate an overuse of pictures/movies and make your ads the flashiest thing around.

Really your goal here is to get people to notice your ads and to click on them while simultaneously better blending your ads so that people do not even know they are clicking on an ad unit.

If the website is built around promoting an affiliate product, such as a ClickBank ebook, then you are going to want to quickly increase revenue and flip this site in 2 months exactly. This gives you opportunity to increase the revenue for a bit but also you need to unload it quickly as ClickBank products often die off after 6-8 months or at least see a large decline in sales. In these cases be sure to turn any subtle ads into more straight forward ones. Tell people about the product and how great it is in the body of your page rather than just having a banner ad sitting to the side. Offer a freebie ebook or report and build a mailing list around it (Aweber is good for this) then plug the product in your mailing list. Not only will you increase your revenue but you can include a niche targeted opt in mailing list in your site sale and fetch a nice extra chunk of change for it. Also consider experimenting with additional products in the same niche, somethings just have better sales pages and convert better than others.

Increasing Traffic

The first thing that I like to look it is optimizing the main domain to rank higher in Google. Hopefully the site that you purchased already has a good amount of organic search traffic so bumping it up a notch should take a minimal amount of work. Since I am holding this site for only 2-3 months on average I am going to be investing about 30 minutes daily, 4-5 days a week, into SEO. Chances are that since this website is already established link building has not been given this sort of attention in a long time and you will see a considerable rise in search engines. My daily routine will consist of:

1.2-5 Blog Comments – These will be comments on dofollow blogs which are relevant to my niche. I will of course make the comment good and relevant to the post, using my URL only in the URL field and my desired anchor text in the name field. This will insure that I get maximum link benefits while still being able to make my comment stick. 50% of these daily comments will be to internal pages of the website with anchor text that targets the longer tail keyword that these pages are about. Deep linking is a great way to target many more phrases on Google and bring in extra traffic.

2.Social Bookmarking – I will submit a page to the top social bookmarking sites daily. I personally use OnlyWire.com because they allow me to type it in once and then automatically submit it to the top sites.

3.1 Time Initial Promotion – I want to promote the root domain one initially after getting the site. I will write 1 article and submit it to Ezine Articles, this will bring me a strong backlink and some traffic. I will spin or rewrite this article and then post it on uBlurbit.com with a couple of deep links to other main pages. I will submit the domain to a number of smaller social bookmarking sites that it has probably never been submitted to before. I will register on 5-6 niche forums and use a link, with desired anchor text, in my signature. I will then make relevant posts in the most active 4-5 topics on each forum insuring that my link is spidered and human traffic may click through as well.

You will also want to work on your referrer data. If your site is fetching traffic from many sources try to do some SEO work to get more traffic from search engines. Spend a couple of hours building some backlinks and examining internal pages of your website to make sure they are optimized for proper keywords (although your main domain should target your primary keyphrase each individual page should also target a long tail/low competition keyphrase. Shoot for using this keyphrase in a density of 2%-4%, or 2 to 4 times per 100 words, in order to easily optimize your internal pages to naturally rank for low competition terms to gain additional Google traffic) in order to rank higher.

Also please note that content is an equally important aspect of SEO. If this site was previously updated once daily then start updating it twice daily. Make sure your content is unique – put in the effort and Google will love you. This is also why I will talk a bit about building, promoting and selling auto blogs. Buyers tend to love the fact that the content is handled so they can spend much less time on the site to increase traffic and revenue. Flipping auto blogs is truly my favorite.

If you must make a quick sale or struggle greatly with increasing traffic then you can consider purchasing traffic with referrer data included, be sure to use Google for the referrer. Although I do not condone this people’s ethical stances tend to change when they stand to lose a great deal of money so I will say that this can be done.

That’s about all that there is to it. After a couple of months you now have increasingly positive statistics for your website which you brag about in your listing and demand a higher price, you also got to keep everything the site earned in this few months which, combined, makes it a far better idea than simply immediately flipping a website for 5% profit.

Building an Auto Blog to Flip

Although you can build any site and flip it auto blogs are my personal favorite. This is because you can build it and sell it in the same month and, since content is automatic, people will pay you far more than the invested time. Although it may take you a couple of hours initially to setup and promote an auto blog once you get the hang of it setup and promotion combined take me around an hour – because I target long tail niches – and I can fetch $50-$100 for this blog in a few weeks while making a couple of dollars in AdSense revenue in the mean time.

The first thing to note is that there is a free way and a paid way of doing this. I will be covering the paid way (costs are simply a domain and hosting but you can use your same hosting for tons of auto blogs). If you would like to learn about the free way of building auto blogs hosted on blogger.com just do a quick search on this blog and you’ll find my method.

Again I’m not going to cover that because once you have your hosting set you will only pay about $5 for each domain but the fact that it is a hosted blog with a domain will add around $20-$30 in value so this is the ideal approach.

Setup

Of course setup is the majority of the battle here. The real key is to target a long tail niche for your blog so that an hour of promotion can net you natural Google traffic and you have turned your hour of work into $50-$100, which is not too bad if you ask me.

The very first thing to do is to pick a long tail niche. You can use Google AdWord’s keyword tool to look for terms with decent traffic but low competition. Personally I just go with my gut and try to think of a broad niche and then narrow it down. So maybe today I will think of ‘cooking’. For my blog’s niche I will narrow this greatly to something such as ‘new cooking utensil product reviews’. That should be a bit easier to rank for in Google.

Now it is time to register a domain. My ideal domain name would contain my long tail keyphrase, such as ‘cooking-utensil-product-reviews.com’. You want to go with a .com because it is simply worth more money to people who are going to look to buy your website and will only cost you a couple of dollars more.

Now we are going to upload and install WordPress on our hosting account tied to this domain. This is a simple process but you will need to read the provided WordPress tutorial the first time or you will surely miss something.

Once installed make sure to use your entire long tail keyphrase as the title of your blog and pick out a new custom theme, these can be found for free all over Google. After uploading your new theme go to theme editor/presentation and edit the ‘header.php’ file to include some meta description information. Be sure to use your keywords a few more times here, in this case mine would look like:

“New cooking utensils reviewed here. Learn more about the hottest new cooking utensils and get product reviews on utensils for your kitchen and cooking right here!”

Basically you have crammed it with keywords for Google and have made it descriptive for your target audience as well.

Another to do is to include a custom graphic, this will also increase your auto blog’s value. Just get a header/logo graphic done that includes your site’s name and a little Web 2.0ish picture. If you aren’t skilled with Photoshop then outsource it, you shouldn’t pay more than $3-$5 for this and it is important to buyers. People at forums such as DigitalPoint do this well and are very cheap.

Be sure to include some AdSense ad units in your blog because although you are going to be selling this brand new and revenue is not the key having an earning of $10 for the month you hold this blog will help you to demand $100 or so for your hour’s worth of work.

Your final step is going to, of course, be getting automatic content. This is actually quite simple. I use WP-O-Matic because it does the trick and is 100% free. You can download it and get complete setup instructions from:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp- ... tallation/

That’s it. Now you just have to find some feeds for WP-O-Matic to pull content from. The thing here is you are trying to crank out these auto blogs quickly in order to produce the maximum number for sale. That means that instead of searching for a blog about your micro niche to pull a feed from just pull feeds on your broader niche, in this case ‘cooking’. With your meta information and your promotion, which are about to get to, on the micro niche having content that is that close does just fine.

Promotion

Promotion is very straight forward. Most of the time in micro niches such as this your competition is zero because the results that are showing up in Google are actually people who were trying to target something else so with a little bit of work you will easily take the number one spot and hold it.

I just do my classic promotion here, submit your site to the top social bookmarking sites – be sure to use the long tail keyword as your title so it will be your anchor text.

I will also do about 10 blog comments on relevant blogs, speed is the key so do not worry about dofollow. As always include your full long tail keyword as the ‘name’ field and your URL in the URL field. Make your comment fit with the blog post or, for speed, comment at another commenter to make sure it sticks.

That is about it for this method I personally have some websites up already so I will stick some links from them in order to get it ranking a bit higher initially and then remove them later. If you find in a week or so you are not ranking then go out and post another round of blog comments followed by a short Ezine Article and you should be set. I usually hold off and see just because I don’t want to waste my time with this if I don’t need to.

Now you have your auto blog all setup and promoted. Follow what you learned earlier and sell it after 3-4 weeks. The only thing here is that when selling these push the fact that the traffic is organic and the blog is all promoted and automatic so it is completely and 100% passive income, this is what makes a brand new site like this worth buying!
sdimas
Trust:
Hi, Ismail!

This website wowhaxor.com is not working now. Thank you for pasting here this guide.

I wanted to check this site because I think some information in it is outdated. I very liked info on autoblogs (I was doing them in the past but without much sucsess). If you know some other site or guide on buying/selling websites or building autoblogs, please share.

Thanks.
sbsambrooks33
Trust:
Congrats mate... website flipping can be very profitable, especially high-priced sites
swordsedge89
Trust:
smuigal wrote:Hi Mahlon,

My kangen water site had a page set up telling people the site was for sale. I had it up for sale for almost a year, had a few offers, but nothing panned out. Then I actually had two people interested in it at the same time and the person that had the money and added an extra $500.00 to the bid got the site.

My reverse mortgage site did not have a for sale page but it was/is ranking at number 4 for the keyword phrase reverse mortgage pros and cons, which is a very desirable phase. Someone just emailed me and asked if the price was right would I sell. I said, yep, "IF" the price was right. Their first offer was $300.00 which I laughed at, then they gave me the bid of $1400.00 which I thought was very generous. In fact, it's about 18 months of Adsense which makes me very happy.

I have two more sites that I am going to try and sell. The great thing is about my old sites is that they have aged so they have time on their side. I do see this as a long term plan. However, I am thinking that you can also do this in the short term.

I have a website that is now ranking at number 3 for a good keyword phrase. I have not worked the SEO on it very much at all. So, I'm thinking that if I put a little effort into it, get it ranking number one for a few good keywords, perhaps I can sell if for $200.00 or so. If I spend maybe $25.00 and sell if for a few hundred, that will tell me I'm on the right track to making money with flipping sites.

I'll try to post the results if I can follow through with this. But I have seen guides, and actually have one on domain flipping using flippa so I think that it's a good way to go if you can do good research, get the keyword phrase for the domain name, and do some SEO to get it to the top spot.

My experience is unusual of course since I didn't have to sell either of these domains from flippa.

Chrisi

"I have a website that is now ranking at number 3 for a good keyword phrase. I have not worked the SEO on it very much at all. So, I'm thinking that if I put a little effort into it, get it ranking number one for a few good keywords"

Is she for real? Does what she is talking about SEO happen in 2013?
lionscity
Trust:
Here is the complete site flipping guide that teach you how to make million on site flipping.

http://goo.gl/Juv2f
The most powerful business tool any entrepreneur could ask for. This is perfect for everyone; From Internet Marketing Newbie’s to Advanced Internet Marketers, Experts to Elites. Know exactly what your consumers will buy and exactly how much they would pay.

http://www.ProductIdeasGenerator.com

lionscity
Trust:
sorry, google won't shorten this url, here is the link.

http://9e2f9f1ardvp4t4jjhg5nbx6w4.hop.clickbank.net/
The most powerful business tool any entrepreneur could ask for. This is perfect for everyone; From Internet Marketing Newbie’s to Advanced Internet Marketers, Experts to Elites. Know exactly what your consumers will buy and exactly how much they would pay.

http://www.ProductIdeasGenerator.com

This topic was started on Sep 22, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.